



Canadian Section of The Wildlife Society

Call in Number: 1-866-633-0848; Conference Code: 1309242

Date and time: Monday, 16 Jan 2016: 1:00 pm MST (12:00 PST, 2:00 CST, 3:00 pm EST)

Present	
Affiliation(s)	Name(s)
CSTWS President	Mark Boyce
CSTWS President-Elect	Dee Patriquin
CSTWS Past-President	Darren Sleep
Section Rep to TWS Council	Art Rodgers
CSTWS Secretary-Treasurer	Matt Dyson
Alberta Chapter President	Jason Fisher
Manitoba Chapter President	Stephen Petersen
Saskatchewan Chapter President	Tom Perry
Student Representative	Kristin Denryter

Regrets	
Affiliation(s)	Name(s)
CSTWS Vice-President	Laura Trout
TWS 2015 Conference Arrangement Co-Chair	Merlin Shoesmith
TWS Section Coordinator	Mariah Simmons
Awards Committee Chair	Evelyn Merrill
Conservation Committee Chair	Jim Allen
Education Committee Chair	Meagan Hainstock

ACTION: Art to ask about the membership database (re: updates from TWS Online registration timing, and payment to Sections/Chapters)

ACTION: Matt to follow up on an invoice for the CSTWS/MB Chapter Reception

ACTION: Matt to get official documents signed so that the funds can be dispersed from Mr. Comin's will.

ACTION: Matt to follow up with the inheritance committee that has been formed to report back at the next executive meeting

ACTION: Mark to send Dee information to forward to committee

ACTION: Jason to send Jennifer's contact info to Mark

ACTION: Mark to send an email to some folks in BC to facilitate the start of a discussion about reforming the Chapter

ACTION: Matt and Laura to send out a call for newsletter submissions

ACTION: Dee and Matt to develop an audit committee terms of reference

ACTION: Mark to put bylaw changes on agenda for the July AGM

ACTION: Matt to circulate the proposed bylaw changes to the membership prior to the July AGM

ACTION: Proposed bylaw changes to be reviewed and voted on to send to the membership as an agenda item at the Feb exec meeting

ACTION: Meagan to coordinate to get the workshop list from Mariah

ACTION: Jason to be asking his CAC to forward the statement to TWS

Headquarters

ACTION: Mark or Jason to forward Matt the position statement to post on the website and for inclusion in the next Newsletter

ACTION: Matt and Laura to include a call in the next newsletter for members of the membership and recruitment committee

ACTION: Chairs to be recruited for sessions for CSTWS at CSEE

ACTION: Mark to contact Shane Mahoney to see if he would be willing to be involved in planning the AGM

ACTION: Dee to contact Eric to get some deadlines and times for CSEE registration and CSTWS AGM dates, so that we can start more planning on our end.

ACTION: Matt to put something in the newsletter re: Education committees

ACTION: Executive to forward names of people who might serve as President to Darren so that he can solicit nominations.

ACTION: Matt and Tom to talk re: CSTWS website

ACTION: Matt to update the current drupal site and continue working with Laura to develop the new webpage

ACTION: Executive members to consider the Section moving to create a new logo and coming up with a plan moving forward

ACTION: Mark and Kristin to set up a meeting with student chapters for early February

ACTION: Matt to send a doodle poll to find a time for the next meeting

1. Agenda approval

Dee motions for approval, Stephen seconds, Agenda Approved

2. Approval of minutes of Executive Board Conference from last meeting

Inserted Stephen's name where Art's was written in from the November Meeting minutes for seconding a motion to begin plans for a joint meeting with CSEE

Stephen motions, Dee seconds, Minutes Approved

3. **News from TWS –**

4. **Canadian Section representative update: Art Rodgers**

Mariah sent out template for the booklet of workshops and other activities that subunits are doing successfully

Note: The Canadian Section has already submitted our RSF workshop outline from when the program was being piloted

Nominations for awards have been changed to 01 May
Fellows and Group Achievement are 15 February

We need to continue to encourage nomination packages from our membership

Matt: Any news on membership database updates from TWS?

Art: Will take that to the next meeting

ACTION: Art to ask about the membership database (re: updates from TWS Online registration timing, and payment to Sections/Chapters)

5. **President's items:** *Mark Boyce*

- CSTWS meeting July 2016 at MUN: Dee's report
- Symposium and contributed paper announcements needed when approved by local organizing committee

6. **Secretary-treasurer's report:** *Matt Dyson*

Account	Balance
Paypal	\$ 310.35
Chequings	\$ 5,657.00
Savings	\$ 5,005.06
Accounts Receivable	\$ 0.00
Accounts Payable	\$ 0.00
Total	\$ 10,972.41

Memberships 262

- Membership will likely level out to 290 after members that lapsed on Dec 31 renew
- Inheritance from Larry Comin to CSTWS and ACTWS

Matt: The section has been named in the will of Larry N. Comin and will be receiving \$126,694.57.

Mark: At this point, we are unsure of who Larry is

Jason: So is the Alberta Chapter

Art: We should consider an investment committee

Matt: I will be working with the notary and lawyers in the near future to secure the funds

Matt motions to form a committee to make decisions on what to do with the inheritance

Mark, Matt, Jason, and Dee volunteered to form the committee, Art to provide feedback from TWS

Stephen: Matt, have you heard anything about an invoice from the reception at the TWS AGM?

Matt: I have not, will follow up.

ACTION: Matt to follow up on an invoice for the CSTWS/MB Chapter Reception
ACTION: Matt to get official documents signed so that the funds can be dispersed from Mr. Comin's will.
ACTION: Matt to follow up with the inheritance committee that has been formed to report back at the next executive meeting

7. Old business:

Action Items

- 1) Dee to ask Eric about workshop proposals
 - Submitted a symposium and suggested we could develop a workshop
 - Mark can offer up the RSF workshop
 - Likely will be a different audience so warrants doing again

ACTION: Mark to send Dee information to forward to committee

- 2) Mark and Kristin to set up a conference call with all of the student chapters.
 - To be discussed during student chapter update
- 3) Dee will follow up with Darryl Kroeker RE : BC Chapter
 - Darrell had been away, but back now. Marc Andre is motivated to kickstart a BC Chapter
 - Jennifer Psyllakis has also shown interest in the BC Chapter
 - BC is potentially interested in holding the CSTWS AGM next year if they are trying to kickstart their chapter

Art suggested that a conference call should be made to facilitate discussion

Jason: CSEE will also be in Victoria next year, so potentially another Joint meeting to kickstart a chapter

ACTION: Jason to send Jennifer's contact info to Mark
ACTION: Mark to send an email to some folks in BC to facilitate the start of a discussion about reforming the Chapter

- 4) Matt to send out a doodle poll to exec to find a time for our next meeting.
 - Done

8. New Business:

- Next newsletter: end of Feb 2016?

Matt: Yes, the next newsletter will come out in the middle of Feb 2016

ACTION: Matt and Laura to send out a call for newsletter submissions

- Other items? - None

9. Committee reports-

- Audit committee – *Dee Patriquin*
 - *Completed! (Appended)*

Dee:

Highlights:

- Spending and summary have been confirmed
- Suggestions have been made for a general ledger file for all of the different accounts.
- The general ledger has made things much easier

Dee: TWS needs our audit reports to backup their files (IRS), but the difficulty is that our year is the end of June, which has extended our audit year. How do we line up our audit period and our fiscal year?

Art: The change in fiscal year is to match headquarters, and was made in a change to the bylaws. But these changes were not sent out to the membership, or TWS headquarters.

Art: See minutes from conference calls December 12 2013 and February 27 2014 – I don't know if the proposed changes to the bylaws were ever posted on the website and I could not find an issue of the newsletter where they were included. I could not find any minutes from the 2014 AGM at Laval so I don't know if there was a vote – check with Evie. I also could not find any record of approval of these changes by TWS.

Dee: Timing of our AGM still might mean our audit reports are not in sync.

Mark: We cannot make the change until it has been approved.

Art: Therefore, the fiscal year is still the end of the year. The audit and fiscal year can be voted on by electronic ballot.

Mark: Can we put this together easily?

Matt: Yes, but we need to decide who will receive/deal with votes

Art: We also have to make sure everyone understands what they will be voting on which can be done via email, website, newsletter. The next step is putting these bylaws to the members and submitting them to TWS. We will work to clean this up.

ACTION: Dee and Matt to develop an audit committee terms of reference

ACTION: Mark to put bylaw changes on agenda for the July AGM

ACTION: Matt to circulate the proposed bylaw changes to the membership prior to the July AGM

ACTION: Proposed bylaw changes to be reviewed and voted on to send to the membership as an agenda item at the Feb exec meeting

- Education committee - *Meagan Hainstock*
 - *Upcoming webinars*

22 Jan 2016 is the next, followed by 19 February, and 01 April. That will be it for the lineup this year and the committee will meet for plans for next year, which will include revisiting the survey. They will also consider doing more than just webinars. Does the Section have more comments on what can be done by the education committee?

Mark: The workshops could fall under the education committee. TWS is currently working to formulate a list to fill in workshops that should be useful.

ACTION: Meagan to coordinate to get the workshop list from Mariah

- Conservation Affairs committee: *Jim Allen*
 - *AltaLink Cooking Lake transmission line—CSTWS co-signed position statement with ACTWS*

Mark signed on behalf of ACTWS

Jason: The letter is now officially on record

Matt: Garth Mowat had expressed interest on being on the committee a few months ago

Stephen: Our chair has also been asking about contributions from the Sections CAC

Art: Can we post the statement on the website and has it been forwarded to TWS

Headquarters (Director of Government Affairs, Keith Norris)

Stephen: Received internal pushback with how the statement from MB chapter (re: Moose) was made from within the Chapter. How do we keep all levels of membership informed as we move forward.

ACTION: Jason to be asking his CAC to forward the statement to TWS Headquarters

ACTION: Mark or Jason to forward Matt the position statement to post on the website and for inclusion in the next Newsletter

- Membership & Recruitment committee: TBA

Mark: We should try and recruit somebody to help/chair this committee.

Matt: I am officially the chair as the Sec/Tres; however, I have only been able to keep up with updating the list on a monthly basis

Darren: We should think about a membership drive

Meagan: In MB, there was a bit of a drive where if you became a member by X date you received free registration at the conference. The webinars also generate membership interest.

Dee: Perhaps we can coordinate with the education committee and include something of a job description for a newsletter/website announcement.

ACTION: Matt and Laura to include a call in the next newsletter for members of the membership and recruitment committee

- Awards committee: *Evie Merrill*

See appendix next page for notes from Evie

Kristin: UNBC will be applying for the Chapter and Advisor award this year

Mark: Lakehead could potentially contribute an application

Art: Happy to provide encouragement to Lakehead

Art and Marco have an Aldo Leopold nomination going in and there have been suggestions for other awards as well. Al Arsenault is working on a nomination for the Caesar Kleberg Award.

Stephen: Manitoba has some TWS Fellows applications

Art: Each section is only allowed 2/year

Mark: Proposed Alberta Conservation for a group award

Art: Thanks to Evie for putting in a great effort to highlight these awards

- Canadian Section AGM Planning committee: *Dee Patriquin*

From Eric Vander Wal:

“Sorry I can’t join the meeting today. But a quick update on CSTWS AGM.

I spoke with Tom and Ian and everyone is on board. Mike is looking into some options and the availability of Bitters for the mixer on the Saturday. Once he has these he'll circulate them and you can make a decision on pricing. We (CSEE) need to have a decision on this fairly shortly thereafter so that we can include the option in the online registration.

Decisions about symposia should be made shortly. Similarly, for workshops. I think there is still room for a workshop if you're interested.

Otherwise we'll make a point of grouping wildlife talks into sessions that can be chaired by folks from the CSTWS.

Let me know if I'm missing anything critical and we'll follow up with it.”

Dee: Waiting on more specific dates and registration information for when we can advertise to the membership with the registration page.

Mark: Everyone seems to be very supportive of our idea

ACTION: Chairs to be recruited for sessions for CSTWS at CSEE

ACTION: Mark to contact Shane Mahoney to see if he would be willing to be involved in planning the AGM

ACTION: Dee to contact Eric to get some deadlines and times for CSEE registration and CSTWS AGM dates, so that we can start more planning on our end.

- Nominations: Darren is looking for someone to chair Education Committee for 2016/2017

Nothing has been heard about anyone stepping up.
Darren is looking for names for Presidents

ACTION: Matt to put something in the newsletter re: Education committees
ACTION: Executive to forward names of people who might serve as President to Darren so that he can solicit nominations.

- Canadian Wildlife News: Rachel Crowhurst

Clips are to be coming out soon again from Rachel

- Website: *Matt Dyson/Laura Trout*
 - *Canadian Wildlife News not posted on website since September*

Mark: We should continue to post items on the website.

Stephen: Everyone should see a newsletter, but maybe not the clips. The talks from TWS are one of my favourite things, setting the bar for benefits from me.

- *Boyce should send position statement for posting on website*

Mark: A colleague had mentioned that the logo was too big. We might consider a new logo for the Section

Tom: What web host is the CSTWS using?

Stephen: MB is also creating their own website

ACTION: Matt and Tom to talk re: CSTWS website

ACTION: Matt to update the current drupal site and continue working with Laura to develop the new webpage

ACTION: Executive members to consider the Section moving to create a new logo and coming up with a plan moving forward

10. Chapter reports:

- Alberta – *Jason Fisher* [Annual meeting 2016 March 4-6, Drumheller]

Full steam ahead for AGM. The executive has been working to find ways to become more effective. For example, everyone is busy on their paying jobs, and can't focus on TWS. There is likely one more step that the chapter can tackle involved in getting more members involved. That is one of the execs main goals.

- British Columbia – *Kristin Denryter*

Kristin would like to be involved with any call that might occur

- Manitoba – *Stephen Peterson*

Winter getaway is 4-5 Feb. AGM is 1 Day this year 23 March, complete with bird banding workshop. The major note from Stephen is in regards to who should be signing CAC memos (i.e., conflicts of interest etc.). Should it be the President and CAC Chair, Section President, lots of uncertainty. Some people feel that the President should be the public face for media attention, but others feel it should be whoever the exec designates.

Mark: It certainly seems that whoever the exec appoints is reasonable. In the past, we had deferred to the CAC chair when the president had a conflict of interest.

Jason: Similar in AB

- Ontario -
- Saskatchewan- *Tom Perry*

Currently in AGM planning 26 March in Regina, SK. There will be a workshop and wing bee, including a social event.

11. Student Chapter update: *Kristin Denryter*

- University of Alberta Chapter TWS has a number of activities planned including Game Dinner Saturday, Jan 23.
- UNBC and Lakehead have been busy this semester

Art: A conclave at the BC AGM could be beneficial to encourage growth of the BC and AB student chapters. Funding support for conclaves is available from TWS.

ACTION: Mark and Kristin to set up a meeting with student chapters for early February

12. Newsletter: *Laura Trout/Matt Dyson* – Covered under the website

- December newsletter distributed on 2015 Dec 23
- Note: Last 3 newsletters are not posted on our website
- Suggestion to reduce size of logo? New logo?
- Next one due end of February 2016

Next conference call: Tuesday, 23 February 2016

ACTION: Matt to send a doodle poll to find a time for the next meeting

Stefan motions to adjourn, Dee seconds, Meeting adjourned

=====
CSTWS Audit Committee Report

17 Jan 2016

Committee Members: Matt Dyson, Dee Patriquin, Laura Trout, Alina Fisher

Audit Results:

All members independently reviewed the records provided by the current Treasurer, Matt Dyson, checking for records of all transactions over the 20-14-2015 audit period.

Although the financial year ends in June, this year's audit covered the period from March 2014 to June 2015. The previous year's audit had ended in February 2014, coinciding with a change in the Treasurer's position, and the current audit included the remainder of the 2014 year, and the current June 2014 to June 2015 audit period.

All three auditors confirmed the accuracy of records, after review of the current accounting files provided for the audit:

- Bank statements
- Paypal transactions records (to track conference and membership payments)
- Processed cheques files (to track payees)
- Membership listing
- The audit summary file prepared by Matt Dyson.

Over the course of the review, the team identified some improvements to facilitate future audits, including the following:

- Develop a General Ledger file to track all transactions, particularly the registrations paid to TWS, and transferred to CSTWS in American funds and Paypal transfers into the CSTWS operating bank account.
- Prepare an Audit Procedure that outlines the audit process for the current Treasurer, Audit team and section members.
- Ensure that audits are completed according to the CSTWS by-laws (by June each year). May need to revisit the financial year end, or Annual General Meeting timing to coordinate timing of audits and the AGM.
- Ensure that audit results are filed with TWS immediately after the audit, to meet their organizational reporting timelines to the US government (early March annually).

Dee Patriquin, Audit Committee Chair

=====
Awards Committee Report

The Awards committee meet/conference called on 5 Jan and discussed status of award submissions. Committee members are: Evie Merrill (chair), Marco Festa-Bianchet (QE), Nicola Koper (MB), Al Arsenault (SK), Ken Abraham (ON), Wini Kessler (BC) and Garth Mowat/Marc-Andre Beaucher (BC).

Thanks to all members who have stepped up to put in nominations.

While there may be other nominations we are not aware of these, these are the ones we are expecting to be submitted by the deadlines:

Canadian Section Awards

Ian McTaggart-Cowan Lifetime Achievement Award: - we are aware of at least one nomination coming soon. Submitted to Evie, adjudicated by Awards committee.

TWS AWARDS:

Already submitted:

FELLOWS: 2 nominations submitted for Michael Gillingham and Kathy Parker

PUBLICATION AWARD: nomination submitted for "Some mechanisms underlying variation in vital rates of grizzly bears on a multiple use landscape" Bruce McLellan-*JWM*.

On-going:

DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD: Evie contacted Chapter Presidents.

We have indication of at least one nomination from SK. Please encourage other Chapters to submit nominations. Submitted to Evie and adjudicated by our Awards committee. Nominations stand for 3 years.

STUDENT CHAPTER AND STUDENT CHAPTER ADVISOR:

Kristin Denryter is following up with Canadian Student Chapters on these awards.

We believe we also have Canadian nominations coming for the following TWS awards by 15 March:

Aldo Leopold Memorial Award

Caesar Kleberg Award for Excellence in Applied Wildlife Research

Donald H. Rusch Memorial Game Bird Research Scholarship

Honorary Membership

Group Award

and perhaps others.

Art Rodgers has graciously been an ex-officio member of the committee and has helped on many awards; he can likely answer any questions that might arise. Please encourage other nominations.